As a rescue organization, CHR does not have legal authority to confiscate anyone’s horses or visit private property to assess a horse. However, we are eager and available to assist Animal Control officers should they need to remove a horse from someone’s property.

A horse in poor condition may look emaciated with protruding ribs and hip bones. Its hooves may be overgrown causing mobility issues, or there may be no place for the horse to get relief from the sun, wind, rain, and snow. In the state of Colorado, horse owners are required to provide their animals with sufficient food, water, hoof care, and shelter; this can be in the form of trees or other natural protection (not necessarily a man-made enclosure).

If you see a horse in poor condition, especially if you notice that it has been in declining health over time, the best course of action is to call Animal Control or the Sheriff’s Department of the county in which the horse is living.

Give the authorities the exact street address and a brief description of what you saw – pay special attention to details regarding body and hoof condition. Stay on track and state the facts; working emotion into your explanation can hurt your cause. Never confront the horse owner directly and only take photos if you can do so from a safe distance.

Animal Control Contact Information by County:
Arapahoe County Animal Control: 720-874-6750
Arvada Animal Management Unit: 720-898-6850
Aurora Animal Control: 303-361-0890
Bennett Animal Control: 303-644-3249
Boulder County Animal Control: 303-441-3626
Brighton City Animal Control: 303-655-2300
Broomfield Animal Control: 303-438-6400
Castle Rock Animal Control: 303-663-6100
Centennial City Animal Control: 720-874-6750
Clear Creek Sheriff Animal Control: 303-679-2393
Commerce City Animal Control: 303-288-1535
Denver City & County Animal Control: 303-698-0800
Edgewater Animal Control: 303-549-5104
Englewood City Animal Control: 303-762-2335
Gilpin County Animal Control: 303-572-0750
Jefferson County Animal Control: 303-271-5070
Lakewood City Animal Control: 303-987-7173
Larimer County Animal Control: 970-226-3647 x126
Littleton Animal Control: 303-794-1551
Superior Town Animal Control: 303-441-4444
Thornton City Animal Control: 303-977-5250
Weld County Animal Control: 970-356-4015 x2849